Pages

Friday 8 July 2011

Musings - What's in a name...

Today I want to tell you about my daughter's name. I never thought, while I was pregnant, that the pressure of choosing another person's name would be so ridiculous. There was so much to consider... she would be having it for life / would she be picked on at school / would her initials spell anything horrid / would she hate us for it?

In the end we chose two names that we loved, two names that we could tell her exactly why we chose them. So here I am telling you...

KATHARINE LORELAI

Katharine was inspired by a couple of exceptional ladies.

Katharine Hepburn

A feisty redhead who has had an exceptional career as well as an interesting, if somewhat eccentric, personal life. As we knew that there was a chance that our Katharine would turn out to be a coppery beauty we thought it would be very fitting.


Katharine Kerr

I love the novels of Katharine Kerr. There is just something wonderful about the worlds that she creates and the ability she has to help you disappear in and amongst the characters. I want my daughter to read them and love them too.



Lorelai was always a contender if we had a girl, though we were never brave enough to chose it as her first name. Sometimes I wish we had but then I remember that children can be cruel regarding unusual names.

Lorelai Gilmore
We loved Lorelai from our favourite television show... Gilmore Girls. It is a funny and fantastic show that is no longer running. It is about a mother and daughter, both called Lorelai, and the amazing relationship that they have together. It is very inspirational, moving, hilarious, mind boggling and I can't wait to play our DVD collection to our little Kaylai when the time comes.


So there you have it. The origin of a name.
So you tell me... what are your children called and why?

:) xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on... say it. :) xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...