Pages

Saturday 2 July 2011

Book Challenge: Book 8 of 30 - Book That Scares Me...

Book 8: Book That Scares Me.

I have never really read horror fiction. I love to read all sorts of genres from Sci-fi to Romance, Crime to Autobiographies and so on and so forth. But horror, never been my thing. Apart from Stephen King that is. I know, I know, he is the king (pun fully intended) of Horror and while I have all but of few of his entire collection they have never really 'scared' me. That was until I read the book that I have chosen. It freaked the heck out of me in the very first chapters. I would recommend that you read it but I can not find it in me to be that cruel, ha ha.

'The Dark Half' by Stephen King

Description (courtesy of Wikipedia):
Thad Beaumont is an author and recovering alcoholic who writes under the pen name George Stark, he writes very successful crime novels about a violent killer named Alexis Machine. When it is learned that Thad Beaumont is really Stark, he and his wife Elizabeth decide to stage a daylight funeral for the fictional Stark during a People magazine photo shoot. His epitaph at the local cemetery says it all: "Not A Very Nice Guy".

Stark, however, emerges as a physical entity and goes on a killing spree, gruesomely murdering everyone he perceives responsible for his "death" – Thad's editor, agent, etc. Thad, meanwhile, is plagued by surreal nightmares and Thad's voice and fingerprints are identical to Stark's, causing Sheriff Pangborn to believe that Thad – despite having alibis – is responsible for the murders.

Thad eventually discovers that he and Stark share a mental bond, and begins to find notes from Stark written in his own handwriting. Sheriff Pangborn eventually learns that Thad had a twin. The unborn brother was absorbed into Thad in utero and later removed from his skull when the author was a child. He had suffered from severe headaches and it was originally thought to be a tumor causing them. The doctor who removed it found the following inside: part of a nostril, some fingernails, some teeth, and a malformed human eye. This leads to questions about the true nature of Stark, whether he is a malevolent spirit or Thad manifesting a multiple personality.

(Yeah... the whole body parts in the brain... Eeek!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on... say it. :) xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...