Pages

Saturday 2 April 2011

Book Challenge: Book 1 of 30 - My Favourite Book

Book 1: My Favourite Book

In trying to decide on my favourite book I thought about what books I loved and books that I had re-read the most. In the end I chose the book which I have always championed to others.

'North and South' By Elizabeth Gaskell

There is something so powerful about Gaskell's imagary and the tense emotions that she is able to bring out on the page between the two main characters. John Thornton, to me, is everything enticing that is missing from a character like Mr Darcy and as an old romantic (and from the North, ha ha) I always turn every page in anticipation.

Description (courtesy of Play.com):
Set against the backdrop of Victorian England's industrial north, North and South follows the fortunes of Margaret Hale, a privileged, middle-class southerner who is forced to settle in the northern town of Milton. Her distaste for the town and its people extends to handsome and charismatic cotton mill owner John Thornton whom she believes epitomises everything she dislikes about the North. However, as events conspire to throw Margaret and Thornton together, the two spirited characters have to overcome their repressed physical attraction for one another and conquer the prejudices of class and circumstance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on... say it. :) xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...