Pages

Wednesday 18 August 2010

MOTW - Benedict Cumberbatch

Growing up my Mother would always make me watch 'The Hound of The Baskervilles', the version starring Ian Richardson as Sherlock and with Martin Shaw (her favourite) as the American. While this is a very tenuous link to this week's MOTW it leads me in by stating that, due to my childhood, I am always intrigued to watch other actors than Ian (my favourite, RIP) take on the mighty Holmes.

sherlocking.org
When I heard that the BBC were broadcasting a modern day SH I shuddered (modern day? really?) but knew I would be watching it anyway. Then I found out the lead was to be played by a chap called Benedict Cumberbatch and knew that with a name like that he would not disappoint.

And he didn't.

His Holmes was fast paced, ironically witty, self-absorbed, single minded, bemusing and just as Sir Arthur would have wished him to be (I hope) to bring an excellent character to a modern audience.

Benedict, with his interesting features and gangly frame, stole pretty much every scene in an infuriating poor old Watson type of way. I will definitely be tuning in for a second series!

As well as solving crimes he can also be seen getting amazingly into character in:
- 'The Other Boleyn Girl' as William Carey
- 'Atonement' as Paul Marshall
- 'Starter For 10' as Patrick Watts

So... what do you think, is he worthy of the MOTW status? Who would be your choice?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on... say it. :) xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...