Pages

Monday 5 April 2010

Review - Clash of the Titans (2010)

Last night I took my husband out on a date. We don’t go on dates that often but when we do I have usually dragged him to Ikea, the local Chinese Buffet place or like last night… to the flicks.

My husband, where ever I take him, requires bribes. With Ikea it’s the meat balls, Shopping means a trip to HMV and our local cinema sees him loaded with popcorn and the promise of a boys film in the near future.

Last night was the promised boys flick… last night was Clash of the Titans.

Now I vaguely remember the original, not necessarily from 1981 but from the countless reruns played throughout my twenty-nine years. I prefer Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger or Jason and his Argonauts better but alas it was Perseus’ tale remade circa 2010.

Okay, so I admit that the advert with all those men in action… I was persuaded.

It was just after 8:30pm when we entered Screen Six with our giant salted popcorn, our giant fizzy drink, share bag of chocolate sweets and our 3D glasses. Since seeing Avatar in 3D Kieran gets all excited at the idea of an evening as Roy Orbison; me, I just get to look foolish with the big black goggles on over my prescription specs.

The film itself was to be a cast of all stars. Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, Gemma Arterton, Mads Mikkelsen, good old Pete Postlethwaite and Sam Worthington completing his hat trick. A Terminator, A Blue Alien and a Demi-God – all in the space of two years is not bad going at all. He is due a Romantic Comedy now, me thinks.

Visually the next two hours were fantastic. Liam and Ralph as the brothers Zeus and Hades were compelling for their entire stint on screen. The monsters, while not as entertaining as the Harryhausen verity were seamless and worthy of their Mythology. The storyline of Perseus and his quest to decapitate the head of Medusa and wave it at the Kracken was well plotted for a modern audience; though in places it felt a little rushed with our favourite parts from the original pushed aside or left out altogether.

The costumes and make up set the scene, again it was Zeus and Hades who stole the show visually. Each character, however minor, was thought out and well rounded. Perseus, for me, needed more depth and inspiration. Other than wanting Sam Worthington’s lovely face to prevail in the end I didn’t feel as strong as a connection as I did to the other characters. Perhaps it was the face that distracted me? Perhaps I was biased to his stellar performance in Avatar?

My overall verdict of the film?

Good Points:
- Visually exciting
- All star cast
- Entertaining adaptation of a classic tale

Bad Points:
- Perseus? Oh him.
- Fast pace that little too speedy
- 3D felt a waste of the extra cash.

I recommend this film for a viewing, well worth seeing on the big screen before simply waiting for the DVD. Even if you haven’t seen the original, or maybe more because you haven’t, Clash of the Titans (2010) is an excellent instalment on the list of Blockbusters to watch this year.

The big question from last night is did Kieran like it?
7/10 was his verdict though he was most upset that the little Golden Owl only got a 10 second cameo as apposed to its previous starring role.

Men!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on... say it. :) xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...